What is involved in Software Development Security
Find out what the related areas are that Software Development Security connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Software Development Security thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Software Development Security journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Software Development Security leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Software Development Security related domains to cover and 179 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Software Development Security, Antivirus software, Application security, Computer access control, Computer crime, Computer hardware, Computer security, Computer virus, Computer worm, Data-centric security, Denial-of-service attack, Denial of service, Information security, Information system, Information technology, Information technology controls, Integrated development environment, Internet security, Intrusion detection system, Intrusion prevention system, Logic bomb, Mobile secure gateway, Mobile security, Multi-factor authentication, Network security, Polymorphic code, Secure coding, Security-focused operating system, Security by design, Security controls, Security software, Security testing, Software development, Software development process, Software engineer, Systems development life cycle, Trojan horse, Web application security:
Software Development Security Critical Criteria:
Chat re Software Development Security planning and revise understanding of Software Development Security architectures.
– For your Software Development Security project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– In a project to restructure Software Development Security outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– How do we manage Software Development Security Knowledge Management (KM)?
Antivirus software Critical Criteria:
Review Antivirus software issues and know what your objective is.
– What are all of our Software Development Security domains and what do they do?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Software Development Security move?
– How do we keep improving Software Development Security?
Application security Critical Criteria:
Study Application security projects and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Application security results.
– How can you negotiate Software Development Security successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– Who Is Responsible for Web Application Security in the Cloud?
– Are there Software Development Security problems defined?
– How can we improve Software Development Security?
Computer access control Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in Computer access control projects and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Computer access control.
– Think about the functions involved in your Software Development Security project. what processes flow from these functions?
Computer crime Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Computer crime quality and define what our big hairy audacious Computer crime goal is.
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Software Development Security values?
– How can the value of Software Development Security be defined?
Computer hardware Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Computer hardware strategies and explain and analyze the challenges of Computer hardware.
– When a Software Development Security manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Software Development Security effort?
Computer security Critical Criteria:
Chart Computer security strategies and triple focus on important concepts of Computer security relationship management.
– Does your company provide end-user training to all employees on Cybersecurity, either as part of general staff training or specifically on the topic of computer security and company policy?
– Will the selection of a particular product limit the future choices of other computer security or operational modifications and improvements?
– How will you know that the Software Development Security project has been successful?
– How do we maintain Software Development Securitys Integrity?
Computer virus Critical Criteria:
Apply Computer virus failures and innovate what needs to be done with Computer virus.
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Software Development Security ?
– What are the short and long-term Software Development Security goals?
Computer worm Critical Criteria:
Track Computer worm results and clarify ways to gain access to competitive Computer worm services.
– Does Software Development Security systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Software Development Security with what users do day-to-day?
– To what extent does management recognize Software Development Security as a tool to increase the results?
Data-centric security Critical Criteria:
Define Data-centric security risks and budget for Data-centric security challenges.
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Software Development Security project?
– What is data-centric security and its role in GDPR compliance?
– Are there Software Development Security Models?
Denial-of-service attack Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on Denial-of-service attack tactics and catalog Denial-of-service attack activities.
– IDS/IPS traffic pattern analysis can often detect or block attacks such as a denial-of-service attack or a network scan. However, in some cases this is legitimate traffic (such as using cloud infrastructure for load testing or security testing). Does the cloud provider have a documented exception process for allowing legitimate traffic that the IDS/IPS flags as an attack pattern?
– Do those selected for the Software Development Security team have a good general understanding of what Software Development Security is all about?
– Is the provider able to withstand and adapt to high-traffic attacks, such as Distributed Denial-of-Service attacks?
– Are assumptions made in Software Development Security stated explicitly?
– Who will provide the final approval of Software Development Security deliverables?
Denial of service Critical Criteria:
Grade Denial of service goals and probe Denial of service strategic alliances.
– An administrator is concerned about denial of service attacks on their virtual machines (vms). what is an effective method to reduce the risk of this type of attack?
– How easy would it be to lose your service if a denial of service attack is launched within your cloud provider?
– What ability does the provider have to deal with denial of service attacks?
– What are specific Software Development Security Rules to follow?
Information security Critical Criteria:
Depict Information security decisions and give examples utilizing a core of simple Information security skills.
– Has the organization established an Identity and Access Management program that is consistent with requirements, policy, and applicable guidelines and which identifies users and network devices?
– Does mgmt communicate to the organization on the importance of meeting the information security objectives, conforming to the information security policy and the need for continual improvement?
– Based on our information security Risk Management strategy, do we have official written information security and privacy policies, standards, or procedures?
– Are Human Resources subject to screening, and do they have terms and conditions of employment defining their information security responsibilities?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– Does this review include assessing opportunities for improvement, need for changes to the ISMS, review of information security policy & objectives?
– Is mgmt able to determine whether security activities delegated to people or implemented by information security are performing as expected?
– Do we have an official information security architecture, based on our Risk Management analysis and information security strategy?
– Is there an up-to-date information security awareness and training program in place for all system users?
– Have the roles and responsibilities for information security been clearly defined within the company?
– Have standards for information security across all entities been established or codified into regulations?
– Are information security policies reviewed at least once a year and updated as needed?
– Ensure that the information security procedures support the business requirements?
– What is true about the trusted computing base in information security?
– Is there a business continuity/disaster recovery plan in place?
– Is an organizational information security policy established?
– Do we all define Software Development Security in the same way?
– Is information security managed within the organization?
Information system Critical Criteria:
Gauge Information system results and get going.
– Have we developed a continuous monitoring strategy for the information systems (including monitoring of security control effectiveness for system-specific, hybrid, and common controls) that reflects the organizational Risk Management strategy and organizational commitment to protecting critical missions and business functions?
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Software Development Security strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– On what terms should a manager of information systems evolution and maintenance provide service and support to the customers of information systems evolution and maintenance?
– What are the key elements of your Software Development Security performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– Has your organization conducted a cyber risk or vulnerability assessment of its information systems, control systems, and other networked systems?
– Are information security events and weaknesses associated with information systems communicated in a manner to allow timely corrective action to be taken?
– Would an information systems (is) group with more knowledge about a data production process produce better quality data for data consumers?
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Software Development Security is underway?
– Are information systems and the services of information systems things of value that have suppliers and customers?
– What are the principal business applications (i.e. information systems available from staff PC desktops)?
– Why Learn About Security, Privacy, and Ethical Issues in Information Systems and the Internet?
– What are information systems, and who are the stakeholders in the information systems game?
– How secure -well protected against potential risks is the information system ?
– Is unauthorized access to information held in information systems prevented?
– What does integrity ensure in an information system?
– Is authorized user access to information systems ensured?
– Is security an integral part of information systems?
Information technology Critical Criteria:
Unify Information technology risks and display thorough understanding of the Information technology process.
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– How do we Identify specific Software Development Security investment and emerging trends?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– What is our formula for success in Software Development Security ?
– Which Software Development Security goals are the most important?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
Information technology controls Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase Information technology controls failures and look at it backwards.
– What are the usability implications of Software Development Security actions?
– How to Secure Software Development Security?
Integrated development environment Critical Criteria:
Unify Integrated development environment visions and shift your focus.
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Software Development Security?
– How do we go about Securing Software Development Security?
Internet security Critical Criteria:
Be responsible for Internet security adoptions and secure Internet security creativity.
– Are there recognized Software Development Security problems?
– How do we Lead with Software Development Security in Mind?
Intrusion detection system Critical Criteria:
X-ray Intrusion detection system risks and budget for Intrusion detection system challenges.
– Can intrusion detection systems be configured to ignore activity that is generated by authorized scanner operation?
– What are our needs in relation to Software Development Security skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– What is the source of the strategies for Software Development Security strengthening and reform?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Software Development Security objectives?
– What is a limitation of a server-based intrusion detection system (ids)?
Intrusion prevention system Critical Criteria:
Incorporate Intrusion prevention system visions and adopt an insight outlook.
– Are security alerts from the intrusion detection or intrusion prevention system (ids/ips) continuously monitored, and are the latest ids/ips signatures installed?
– What is the purpose of Software Development Security in relation to the mission?
– Is a intrusion detection or intrusion prevention system used on the network?
– How is the value delivered by Software Development Security being measured?
Logic bomb Critical Criteria:
Apply Logic bomb leadership and prioritize challenges of Logic bomb.
Mobile secure gateway Critical Criteria:
Incorporate Mobile secure gateway failures and probe using an integrated framework to make sure Mobile secure gateway is getting what it needs.
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Software Development Security forward?
– Is Software Development Security Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
– What are the barriers to increased Software Development Security production?
Mobile security Critical Criteria:
Distinguish Mobile security tactics and remodel and develop an effective Mobile security strategy.
– Consider your own Software Development Security project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– What vendors make products that address the Software Development Security needs?
Multi-factor authentication Critical Criteria:
Model after Multi-factor authentication projects and describe which business rules are needed as Multi-factor authentication interface.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Software Development Security into the services that we provide?
– Does remote server administration require multi-factor authentication of administrative users for systems and databases?
– Is multi-factor authentication supported for provider services?
– What is Effective Software Development Security?
Network security Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Network security management and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Network security decisions.
– Do we Make sure to ask about our vendors customer satisfaction rating and references in our particular industry. If the vendor does not know its own rating, it may be a red flag that youre dealing with a company that does not put Customer Service at the forefront. How would a company know what to improve if it had no idea what areas customers felt were lacking?
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Software Development Security processes?
– Are the disaster recovery plan (DRP) and the business contingency plan (BCP) tested annually?
– How much does Software Development Security help?
Polymorphic code Critical Criteria:
Trace Polymorphic code strategies and drive action.
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Software Development Security process?
– How do we Improve Software Development Security service perception, and satisfaction?
Secure coding Critical Criteria:
Chart Secure coding tactics and get the big picture.
– How do we ensure that implementations of Software Development Security products are done in a way that ensures safety?
Security-focused operating system Critical Criteria:
Wrangle Security-focused operating system risks and point out improvements in Security-focused operating system.
– What are the disruptive Software Development Security technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Why should we adopt a Software Development Security framework?
Security by design Critical Criteria:
Track Security by design projects and separate what are the business goals Security by design is aiming to achieve.
– what is the best design framework for Software Development Security organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Software Development Security processes?
Security controls Critical Criteria:
Interpolate Security controls management and develop and take control of the Security controls initiative.
– Are there multiple physical security controls (such as badges, escorts, or mantraps) in place that would prevent unauthorized individuals from gaining access to the facility?
– Does the cloud service agreement make its responsibilities clear and require specific security controls to be applied to the application?
– Are regular reviews of the effectiveness of the ISMS (including meeting of ISMS policy and objectives and review of security controls) undertaken?
– Do the security controls encompass not only the cloud services themselves, but also the management interfaces offered to customers?
– Can the cloud service provider demonstrate appropriate security controls applied to their physical infrastructure and facilities?
– Do we have policies and methodologies in place to ensure the appropriate security controls for each application?
– Is the measuring of the effectiveness of the selected security controls or group of controls defined?
– Does the cloud service provider have necessary security controls on their human resources?
– Do we have sufficient processes in place to enforce security controls and standards?
– Have vendors documented and independently verified their Cybersecurity controls?
– Do we have sufficient processes in place to enforce security controls and standards?
– Is the scope of Software Development Security defined?
– What are the known security controls?
Security software Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about Security software failures and point out Security software tensions in leadership.
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Software Development Security process?
Security testing Critical Criteria:
Pilot Security testing outcomes and question.
– Which customers cant participate in our Software Development Security domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– Is maximizing Software Development Security protection the same as minimizing Software Development Security loss?
– Is Software Development Security Required?
Software development Critical Criteria:
Scan Software development governance and devote time assessing Software development and its risk.
– The fundamentals of agile software development, agile project management, and evolutionary development have been proven and demonstrated to be highly successful. Are these now preferred in our organization?
– Does the software Quality Assurance function have a management reporting channel separate from the software development project management?
– How can agile software development be utilized when the development is done in several different locations instead of one site?
– How will nonfunctional requirements pertaining to availability, security, performance, and many other factors be addressed?
– How could agile approach be taken into consideration when recruiting personnel and allocating people into projects?
– Will Agile advantages be able to overcome the well-known existing problems in software development?
– Do not ISO 9000 and CMM certifications loose their meaning when applied to the software industry?
– Do you think you could provide every last detail the developers need to know right off the bat?
– Is open source software development faster, better, and cheaper than software engineering?
– Can agile project management be adopted by industries other than software development?
– What if any is the difference between Lean and Agile Software Development?
– Do we know the difference between lean and agile software development?
– what is the minimum we can do to produce a quality product?
– What does it mean to scale agile solution delivery?
– Is Internet-speed software development different?
– What have you completed since yesterday?
– How is the development team organized?
– Detaching: when does it break down?
– Are Agile teams collocated?
Software development process Critical Criteria:
Add value to Software development process planning and arbitrate Software development process techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– Where does User Experience come from, what does it add to the software development process and what methods are available?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Software Development Security?
– Have you identified your Software Development Security key performance indicators?
Software engineer Critical Criteria:
Track Software engineer management and point out Software engineer tensions in leadership.
– DevOps isnt really a product. Its not something you can buy. DevOps is fundamentally about culture and about the quality of your application. And by quality I mean the specific software engineering term of quality, of different quality attributes. What matters to you?
– Can we answer questions like: Was the software process followed and software engineering standards been properly applied?
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Software Development Security agendas for the next 3 years?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Software Development Security that make it risky?
– Have the types of risks that may impact Software Development Security been identified and analyzed?
– Better, and cheaper than software engineering?
Systems development life cycle Critical Criteria:
Review Systems development life cycle risks and finalize the present value of growth of Systems development life cycle.
– Why is the systems development life cycle considered an iterative process?
– What are the five steps in the systems development life cycle (sdlc)?
Trojan horse Critical Criteria:
Gauge Trojan horse projects and question.
– Does the Software Development Security task fit the clients priorities?
Web application security Critical Criteria:
Categorize Web application security tasks and maintain Web application security for success.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Software Development Security project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Software Development Security project lifecycle?
– Do we monitor the Software Development Security decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Software Development Security activities?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Software Development Security Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Antivirus software External links:
Spybot – Search & Destroy Anti-malware & Antivirus Software
Geek Squad Antivirus Software Download | Webroot
Antivirus Software, Internet Security, Spyware and …
Application security External links:
SyncDog | Mobile Application Security – Unleash the …
Web Application Security, Testing, & Scanning | PortSwigger
What is application security? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Computer access control External links:
Smart Card Technology: New Methods for Computer Access Control
CASSIE – Computer Access Control – librarica.com
Computer crime External links:
Computer crime legal definition of computer crime
Computer Crime and Intellectual Property Section …
http://www.justice.gov › … › About The Criminal Division › Sections/Offices
[PDF]Common Computer Crime Statutes – New Jersey State …
Computer hardware External links:
[H]ardOCP Computer Hardware Reviews and News
Computer Hardware Inc.
Computer Hardware, PC Parts & Components – Newegg.com
Computer security External links:
GateKeeper – Computer Security Lock | Security for Laptops
Kids and Computer Security | Consumer Information
Naked Security – Computer Security News, Advice and …
Computer virus External links:
New computer virus causes havoc | Daily Mail Online
What is a Computer Virus? Webopedia Definition
Title: Computer Virus – Internet Speculative Fiction Database
Denial-of-service attack External links:
Understanding Denial-of-Service Attacks | US-CERT
Denial of service External links:
Denial of Service Definition – Computer
SMBLoris Windows Denial of Service Vulnerability
Information security External links:
Title & Settlement Information Security
[PDF]TITLE: INFORMATION SECURITY MANAGEMENT …
Federal Information Security Management Act of 2002 – NIST
Information system External links:
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS)
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS)
Information technology External links:
OHIO: Office of Information Technology |About Email
SOLAR | Division of Information Technology
Box @ IU | University Information Technology Services
Integrated development environment External links:
Integrated Development Environment for PHP – PhpED IDE
Anypoint Studio | Integrated Development Environment …
Integrated Development Environment Elements
Internet security External links:
ZenMate – Internet Security and Privacy at its Best!
Center for Internet Security – Official Site
Antivirus Software, Internet Security, Spyware and …
Intrusion detection system External links:
[PDF]Intrusion Detection System Analyzer Protection …
Intrusion Detection Systems – CERIAS
[PDF]Section 9. Intrusion Detection Systems
Intrusion prevention system External links:
Cisco Next-Generation Intrusion Prevention System …
Using Snort as an Intrusion Prevention System – YouTube
Wireless Intrusion Prevention System (WIPS) | …
Logic bomb External links:
logic bomb – Everything2.com
Logic Bomb – TV Tropes
The Logic Bomb by Scott Richard Lord – Goodreads
Mobile secure gateway External links:
Mobile secure gateway – WOW.com
TeskaLabs – Mobile Secure Gateway
Mobile secure gateway – iSnare Free Encyclopedia
Mobile security External links:
Mobile Protection, Enterprise Mobile Security – Skycure
Vipre Mobile Security
Lookout Mobile Security
Multi-factor authentication External links:
Multi-Factor Authentication™ | User Portal
Network security External links:
SentryWire | Packet Capture Tool and Network Security …
NIKSUN – Network Security and Performance
Cloud Harmonics Network Security Training and IT Training
Polymorphic code External links:
What Is Polymorphic Code? – Fast Company
The Algorithm – Polymorphic Code, Full Album – YouTube
Secure coding External links:
Secure Coding Education | Manicode Security
Security controls External links:
[PDF]Security Controls for Computer Systems (U)
SANS Institute – CIS Critical Security Controls
Security testing External links:
Security Testing | US-CERT
Software development External links:
Online Education and Software Development | Smart Horizons
Gordon Darby – Government Software Development
COAX – Software Development Company
Software development process External links:
What is Google’s software development process? – Quora
Software Development Process Flashcards | Quizlet
Software engineer External links:
Title Software Engineer Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Software Engineer Title Ladder – ChangeLog.ca
Systems development life cycle External links:
Systems Development Life Cycle – SSB
The Systems Development Life Cycle, assignment help
SYSTEMS DEVELOPMENT LIFE CYCLE – PCC
Trojan horse External links:
Remove Trojan Horse Virus – YouTube
Trojan horse | Greek mythology | Britannica.com
Trojan Horse – Popsicle Sticks – Time Lapse – YouTube
Web application security External links:
Netsparker Web Application Security Scanner
Web Application Security Testing with AppSpider | Rapid7
Web Application Security, Testing, & Scanning | PortSwigger