What is involved in Process modeling
Find out what the related areas are that Process modeling connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Process modeling thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Business Process Modeling BPM journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Business Process Modeling BPM leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Process modeling related domains to cover and 124 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Process modeling, Argument, Business architecture, Business model, Business process modeling, Business process reengineering, Change management, Enterprise architecture, Granularity, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Mergers and acquisitions, Method engineering, Model-driven architecture, Model selection, Process, Process architecture, Process calculus, Process flow diagram, Process model, Process ontology, Service-oriented architecture, Six Sigma, Sjaak Brinkkemper, W.S. Humphrey:
Process modeling Critical Criteria:
Group Process modeling tactics and get out your magnifying glass.
– For your Process modeling project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Process modeling strengthening and reform actually originate?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Process modeling requirements in detail?
Argument Critical Criteria:
Model after Argument goals and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Argument results.
– Who is engaged by change, who wants stability and values past practice, who focuses on relationships or prefers a compelling argument for the change initiative?
– What are specific Process modeling Rules to follow?
Business architecture Critical Criteria:
Facilitate Business architecture failures and probe the present value of growth of Business architecture.
– How is the value delivered by Process modeling being measured?
– What are current Process modeling Paradigms?
– What is Effective Process modeling?
Business model Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase Business model engagements and get answers.
– How can we create a secure environment to protect our data, especially when new business models like cloud computing and mobility leave us with little control over it?
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Process modeling objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– How can we take rapid and informed action given the dramatic changes the IoT will make to our traditional business models?
– What applications will first become mainstream and under which business model will they operate?
– How well does the product fit our current and planned business model(s)?
– What potential megatrends could make our business model obsolete?
– Are there recognized Process modeling problems?
– What is our Process modeling Strategy?
Business process modeling Critical Criteria:
Design Business process modeling issues and adjust implementation of Business process modeling.
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Process modeling ?
– What is the source of the strategies for Process modeling strengthening and reform?
– Have all basic functions of Process modeling been defined?
Business process reengineering Critical Criteria:
Review Business process reengineering goals and remodel and develop an effective Business process reengineering strategy.
– When conducting a business process reengineering study, what should we look for when trying to identify business processes to change?
– How do mission and objectives affect the Process modeling processes of our organization?
– Have the types of risks that may impact Process modeling been identified and analyzed?
Change management Critical Criteria:
Check Change management management and observe effective Change management.
– Troubleshooting – are problems related to what is actually changing (the change), to the management of tasks and resources to make the change happen (project management) or to issues relating to employee engagement, buy-in and resistance (Change Management)?
– In terms of change focus, leaders will examine the success of past strategic initiatives and the concrete Change Management that accompanied them. is the overall strategy sound?
– Do you have resources, processes, and methodologies in place to provide training and organizational change management services?
– Have all the major Change Management issues associated with the preferred alternative been identified and discussed?
– Does Process modeling create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– Do you have formalized processes for organizational change management within your organization?
– What are some concrete ways to help executives understand the value of change management?
– How effective is your organization with organizational change management?
– In what scenarios should change management systems be introduced?
– What are common barriers to using Change Management in practice?
– Are Organizational Change managements best practices (eg Kotter) applied?
– What are the primary barriers to effective Change Management?
– How pro-active is the Organizational Change Management Plan?
– When is Change Management used on a project at which level?
– When and how is Change Management used on a project?
– Who are the leaders in a Change Management process?
– When to start Change Management?
Enterprise architecture Critical Criteria:
Probe Enterprise architecture engagements and define Enterprise architecture competency-based leadership.
– With the increasing adoption of cloud computing do you think enterprise architecture as a discipline will become more or less important to us and why?
– Enterprise architecture planning. how does it align with to the to be architecture?
– How does the standard fit into the Federal Enterprise Architecture (FEA)?
– Are Enterprise JavaBeans still relevant for enterprise architectures?
– Are software assets aligned with the agency enterprise architecture?
– Are software assets aligned with the organizations enterprise architecture?
– Are the levels and focus right for TOGAF enterprise architecture?
– How do we Improve Process modeling service perception, and satisfaction?
– Is There a Role for Patterns in Enterprise Architecture?
– What is the value of mature Enterprise Architecture?
– Why Should we Consider Enterprise Architecture?
– What are the long-term Process modeling goals?
– What is an Enterprise Architecture?
– How to deal with Process modeling Changes?
– What Is Enterprise Architecture?
– Why Enterprise Architecture?
Granularity Critical Criteria:
Confer re Granularity tasks and get the big picture.
– For audit tracking, state the level of the granularity needed – do you just need to know that someone logged in and out, or do you need to know what screens or records or fields were accessed?
– If our security management product supports access control based on defined rules, what is the granularity of the rules supported: access control per user, group, or role?
– To what level of granularity do the systems objects (e.g., files, directories/folders, components) need to be protected?
– A major challenge in indexing a web site involves the level of granularity of indexing. Do you index web pages?
– Think of your Process modeling project. what are the main functions?
– How do we manage Process modeling Knowledge Management (KM)?
Lecture Notes in Computer Science Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate Lecture Notes in Computer Science issues and probe the present value of growth of Lecture Notes in Computer Science.
– What are the disruptive Process modeling technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Does Process modeling systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Process modeling move?
Mergers and acquisitions Critical Criteria:
Review Mergers and acquisitions results and give examples utilizing a core of simple Mergers and acquisitions skills.
– Will Process modeling have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– What business benefits will Process modeling goals deliver if achieved?
Method engineering Critical Criteria:
Pay attention to Method engineering failures and tour deciding if Method engineering progress is made.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Process modeling processes?
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Process modeling delivery for example is new software needed?
– How can you measure Process modeling in a systematic way?
Model-driven architecture Critical Criteria:
Unify Model-driven architecture tasks and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Model-driven architecture.
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Process modeling project manager?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Process modeling that make it risky?
Model selection Critical Criteria:
Tête-à-tête about Model selection quality and summarize a clear Model selection focus.
– Does Process modeling include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– Does Process modeling analysis show the relationships among important Process modeling factors?
– Does the Process modeling task fit the clients priorities?
Process Critical Criteria:
Adapt Process leadership and balance specific methods for improving Process results.
– Were changes made during the file extract period to how the data are processed, such as changes to mode of data collection, changes to instructions for completing the application form, changes to the edit, changes to classification codes, or changes to the query system used to retrieve the data?
– Parental consent is required to process the data of children younger than 16. In this sense; do all services have to keep a record of the age of users? Is it sufficient to ask the user to state his/her age; or is it also necessary to verify the stated age?
– Who will be responsible for leading the various bcp teams (e.g., crisis/emergency, recovery, technology, communications, facilities, Human Resources, business units and processes, Customer Service)?
– Before any rule is created or any data-related decision is made, a prior decision must be addressed: who gets to make the decision, and when, and using what process?
– How do you know that your project team members are following the documented cm processes to establish the baseline and control changes to it?
– Do you have a clearly defined organizational structure at organization level in order to sustain the risk management process?
– Is there a need to use a formal planning processes including planning meetings in order to assess and manage the risk?
– Which of the itil processes is responsible for ensuring the organization is aware of new and changing technology?
– In the next 12 months will you accept, store, process, or exchange credit/debit card transaction information?
– Which cloud Service Management process maintains information in the Configuration Management database (cmdb)?
– Do we have a formal escalation process to address Cybersecurity risks that suddenly increase in severity?
– How is the way you as the leader think and process information affecting your organizational culture?
– Does the processor himself have the responsibility to comply with GDPR?
– What business process supports the entry and validation of the data?
– What process should be followed to gain future access to your data?
– What are the costs of the resources used in the process?
– How will measurement be integrated into the process?
– Is the suppliers process defined and controlled?
– Is the processor speed sufficient?
Process architecture Critical Criteria:
Analyze Process architecture outcomes and customize techniques for implementing Process architecture controls.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Process modeling workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Process modeling Management?
– How do we go about Securing Process modeling?
Process calculus Critical Criteria:
Track Process calculus management and customize techniques for implementing Process calculus controls.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Process modeling project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Process modeling forward?
Process flow diagram Critical Criteria:
Depict Process flow diagram risks and transcribe Process flow diagram as tomorrows backbone for success.
– Is Process modeling dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– How do we maintain Process modelings Integrity?
Process model Critical Criteria:
Explore Process model governance and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Process model results.
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Process modeling objectives?
– Is there a defined process model and is it followed?
– Who sets the Process modeling standards?
Process ontology Critical Criteria:
Accommodate Process ontology results and prioritize challenges of Process ontology.
– How do we Identify specific Process modeling investment and emerging trends?
– Are there Process modeling problems defined?
Service-oriented architecture Critical Criteria:
Think about Service-oriented architecture issues and ask questions.
– What about Process modeling Analysis of results?
Six Sigma Critical Criteria:
Chart Six Sigma goals and handle a jump-start course to Six Sigma.
– What process management and improvement tools are we using PDSA/PDCA, ISO 9000, Lean, Balanced Scorecard, Six Sigma, something else?
– How can you negotiate Process modeling successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– How is Lean Six Sigma different from TOGAF Architecture?
Sjaak Brinkkemper Critical Criteria:
Match Sjaak Brinkkemper tactics and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Sjaak Brinkkemper results.
– What is the purpose of Process modeling in relation to the mission?
W.S. Humphrey Critical Criteria:
Co-operate on W.S. Humphrey leadership and devise W.S. Humphrey key steps.
– To what extent does management recognize Process modeling as a tool to increase the results?
– Why is Process modeling important for you now?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Business Process Modeling BPM Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Process modeling External links:
Guide to Business Process Modeling | Smartsheet
Navvia Process Modeling Software | Process Modelling …
BPMN 2.0 Handbook Second Edition: Methods, Concepts, Case Studies and Standards in Business Process Modeling Notation (BPMN) [Robert Shapiro, Stephen A …
Argument External links:
Argument on Carnival Cruise Ship Turns Into Massive …
ENG 101 – What is a Counter-Argument
https://app.shoreline.edu/doldham/101/HTML/What is a C-A.htm
Business architecture External links:
Business Architecture Center of Excellence
Business model External links:
Business Model – Investopedia
Business Model Canvas Explained – YouTube
Our Business Model | McDonald’s
Business process modeling External links:
Guide to Business Process Modeling | Smartsheet
[PDF]Business Process Modeling Defined
What is Business Process Modeling Notation | Lucidchart
Business process reengineering External links:
Business Process Reengineering (BPR) – Definition, …
Business Process Reengineering (BPR): Definition, …
[PDF]DoD Business Process Reengineering
https://www.acq.osd.mil/eie/Downloads/BSI/2014 RPAR and memo.pdf
Change management External links:
Kotter – Strategy Execution and Change Management …
ADKAR Change Management Model Overview & …
CCMP™ – The Association of Change Management …
Enterprise architecture External links:
Federal Enterprise Architecture (FEA) | The White House
Enterprise Architecture – EA – Gartner IT Glossary
Granularity External links:
Lock Granularity and Hierarchies – technet.microsoft.com
Granularity – definition of granularity by The Free Dictionary
Granularity | Define Granularity at Dictionary.com
Lecture Notes in Computer Science External links:
[PDF]LATEX2 Class for Lecture Notes in Computer Science
Lecture Notes in Computer Science – Springer
Lecture Notes in Computer Science – Official Site
Method engineering External links:
Green Method Engineering Pvt. Ltd – Home | Facebook
Model-driven architecture External links:
An introduction to model-driven architecture – IBM
Model selection External links:
6.3.4 – Analysis of Deviance and Model Selection | STAT 504
[PDF]Model Selection in R – Statistics
Model Selection | Larson Boats
Process External links:
Service of Process | California Secretary of State
California Student Aid Commission – Application Process
The Disaster Declaration Process | FEMA.gov
Process architecture External links:
Process Architecture – Oracle
Process Architecture – Home | Facebook
Dynamics 365 Process architecture – msdn.microsoft.com
Process calculus External links:
Process calculus – YouTube
Process flow diagram External links:
Process Flow Diagram Symbols – Conceptdraw.com
Process Flow Diagram Examples – SmartDraw
A process flow diagram (PFD) is a diagram commonly used in chemical and process engineering to indicate the general flow of plant processes and equipment. The PFD displays the relationship between major equipment of a plant facility and does not show minor details such as piping details and designations. Another commonly used term for a PFD is a flowsheet.
Process model External links:
5 Steps in the Creative Process Model | Chron.com
Process ontology External links:
What is a process ontology? – Quora
Service-oriented architecture External links:
Understanding Service-Oriented Architecture
Microservices vs. Service-Oriented Architecture – NGINX
Service-Oriented Architecture | Coursera
Six Sigma External links:
What is Lean Six Sigma?
Six Sigma Tools & Templates | iSixSigma
Lean Six Sigma Training & Certification – GoLeanSixSigma…
Sjaak Brinkkemper External links:
Sjaak Brinkkemper – Google Scholar Citations
Sjaak Brinkkemper | Facebook
Sjaak Brinkkemper (@SjBrinkkemper) | Twitter