What is involved in Master data
Find out what the related areas are that Master data connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Master data thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Master Data Management MDM journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Master Data Management MDM leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Master data related domains to cover and 81 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Master data, Customer data integration, Data governance, Dynamic data, Hierarchical database model, Information Technology, Master Data Management, Master Tape, Metadata, Original data, Product information management, Unstructured data:
Master data Critical Criteria:
Frame Master data failures and perfect Master data conflict management.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Master data goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– What are some of the master data management architecture patterns?
– Why should we use or invest in a Master Data Management product?
– How do most enterprises manage hierarchical master data today?
– What is hierarchical master data?
– What Is Master Data Management?
– How to deal with Master data Changes?
– What is Master Data?
– How to Secure Master data?
Customer data integration Critical Criteria:
Survey Customer data integration failures and define what our big hairy audacious Customer data integration goal is.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Master data delivery for example is new software needed?
– How important is Master data to the user organizations mission?
– What are the usability implications of Master data actions?
Data governance Critical Criteria:
Model after Data governance planning and reduce Data governance costs.
– There are also data governance, privacy and legal issues that may be associated with ventures into the cloud. who owns the data and how do they assure that the data is not made available to nascent third parties who have no business accessing it?
– Does the organization regularly review and revise its data content management policies to assure that only those data necessary for meeting the needs described above are collected and/or maintained?
– How does your organization assess staff training needs and ensure job/role specific information governance training is provided to all staff?
– What is the organizations preferred method of training for information governance knowledge and skills?
– Is collecting this data element the most efficient way to influence practice policy, or research?
– What controls should be put in place to ensure we are complying with all regulations?
– Who can provide us with information about our current data systems and data elements?
– Is there value to the organization if the data is refreshed sooner or by other ways?
– Is the requestor seeking the information as part of an audit or evaluation program?
– At what organizational level is it appropriate to have a new data element?
– What is the current process for tuning this organization s data?
– What does software development maturity really mean?
– Establishing an end-to-end data governance process?
– What is your organizations purpose?
– Do you have an up-to-date schedule?
– What level of data will users get?
– Why have a data governance plan?
– Who determines access controls?
– Should it be encrypted?
Dynamic data Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Dynamic data adoptions and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of Dynamic data.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Master data models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Master data study?
– Which Master data goals are the most important?
Hierarchical database model Critical Criteria:
Derive from Hierarchical database model quality and customize techniques for implementing Hierarchical database model controls.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Master data services/products?
– To what extent does management recognize Master data as a tool to increase the results?
– How do we know that any Master data analysis is complete and comprehensive?
Information Technology Critical Criteria:
Reason over Information Technology adoptions and question.
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– Will Master data have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– Is maximizing Master data protection the same as minimizing Master data loss?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– Think of your Master data project. what are the main functions?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
Master Data Management Critical Criteria:
Wrangle Master Data Management visions and intervene in Master Data Management processes and leadership.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Master data project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Master data project lifecycle?
– Is Master data dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– Why are Master data skills important?
Master Tape Critical Criteria:
Study Master Tape outcomes and point out improvements in Master Tape.
– What are the business goals Master data is aiming to achieve?
Metadata Critical Criteria:
Accommodate Metadata governance and define what do we need to start doing with Metadata.
– Who will do the classification (IAs, users, both etc.) Deliverables could be: approach for developing classification, controlled vocabularies, thesaurus, taxonomies, classification models including targeted audience descriptions; will there be any use of autocategorization or autosuggesting metadata?
– Specifically with regard to your customer data, what metadata does the provider have about your data, how is it secured, and what access do you, the customer, have to that metadata?
– do not forget to look at the data itself. how can you affect the amount of, quality of, or protection of data and metadata?
– Are there hiring and training practices especially for metadata and taxonomy positions?
– Are there established qualitative and quantitative measures of metaData Quality?
– Who is responsible for updating the metadata?
– Has autosuggesting metadata been considered?
– Metadata; is there a metadata strategy?
– Is the metadata cache size acceptable?
– What metadata standard will be used?
– Who sets the Master data standards?
– What form will the metadata take?
– How/who will create metadata?
– Is there a metadata strategy?
– Can metadata be loaded?
Original data Critical Criteria:
Check Original data strategies and look at it backwards.
– What are the key elements of your Master data performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– Does the original data collector/ creator/ principal owner retain the right to use the data before opening it up to wider use?
– Is data that is transcribed or copied checked for errors against the original data set?
– Is Supporting Master data documentation required?
– How do we go about Securing Master data?
Product information management Critical Criteria:
Systematize Product information management failures and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Product information management.
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Master data agendas for the next 3 years?
– How do we measure improved Master data service perception, and satisfaction?
– What about Master data Analysis of results?
Unstructured data Critical Criteria:
Participate in Unstructured data risks and find out.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Master data objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– What tools do you consider particularly important to handle unstructured data expressed in (a) natural language(s)?
– Does your organization have the right tools to handle unstructured data expressed in (a) natural language(s)?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Master data ?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Master data processes?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Master Data Management MDM Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Customer data integration External links:
Experian | Customer Data Integration CDI
Customer Data Integration | CDI | MuleSoft
Data Processing & Customer Data Integration (CDI) | Merkle
Data governance External links:
Data Governance Analyst Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
What is data governance (DG)? – Definition from WhatIs.com
[PDF]Data Governance Overview – Oklahoma – Welcome to …
Dynamic data External links:
Dynamic Data – why? – openfunds
Hierarchical database model External links:
The Hierarchical Database Model – Burleson Oracle Consulting
mysql – problem with hierarchical database model? – …
HIERARCHICAL DATABASE MODEL – University of …
Information Technology External links:
Umail | University Information Technology Services
OHIO: Office of Information Technology |About Email
Rebelmail | UNLV Office of Information Technology (OIT)
Master Tape External links:
Find a Various – The Master Tape first pressing or reissue. Complete your Various collection. Shop Vinyl and CDs.
Master Tape at Elusive Disc
The master tape book (Book, 1992) [WorldCat.org]
Metadata External links:
[PDF]GIS Metadata Title: Protection Districts
Title metadata – WiiBrew
3 key tips to adding in your site’s metadata | Yola
Product information management External links:
Product Information Management (PIM) – Mid-States …
Best Product Information Management (PIM) Software …
Product Information Management for Retail | Salsify
Unstructured data External links:
Gigaom | Sector Roadmap: Unstructured Data …